CACAO Good for your health, mood-boosting and DELICIOUS
HAPPY CHOCOLATE WEEK!
Do you, like me, have a penchant for something sweet in the evenings, or after lunch, or even somedays for breakfast? Is this sweet tooth accompanied by worry that you are filling yourself with processed food and sugar? Mine Too! Well worry no more as RAW CACAO may offer a much healthier solution.
Raw Cacao is unprocessed chocolate and in fact a SUPERFOOD! Cacao beans are rich in a number of essential minerals, including magnesium, sulphur, calcium, iron, zinc, copper, potassium and manganese.
Tipper Lewis, head herbalist at Neal’s Yard Remedies explains how these minerals are good for us;
1) Cacao seems to be the number one source of magnesium of any food. Magnesium balances brain chemistry, builds strong bones, and helps regulate heartbeat and blood pressure
2) Cacao also has more antioxidant flavonoids than any food tested so far, including blueberries, red wine, and black and green teas, in fact it has up to four times the quantity of antioxidants found in green tea.”
3) Sulfur builds strong nails and hair, promotes beautiful skin, and detoxifies the liver,”
4) Cacao raises the level of serotonin in the brain; thus acting as an anti-depressant, helping to reduce PMS symptoms, and promoting a sense of well-being,”
5) It also stimulates the secretion of endorphins, producing a pleasurable sensation similar to the “runner’s high” a jogger feels after running several miles.”
Cacao vs Cocoa?
Cacao is made my cold pressing raw cacao beans, preserving all the natural goodness. Cocoa is highly processed, roasted to high temperatures, with lots of sugar added to it.
How to eat it:
Raw cacao comes in several forms; whole beans, nibs and powder. While it tastes slightly less sweet than cocoa, using it as a natural sweetener in cooking is perfect. Try adding it to smoothies, cakes, raw food bars or desserts for a chocolatey taste sensation!
So there it is; not only good for your health, but mood-boosting and above all, delicious!